- Shri Divya Prakash Sinha joined the Indian Police Service in 1979 and was allotted to Tripura part of Manipur-Tripura Cadre.
- After serving initial years in the State in various positions including District SP, he joined central deputation in the Intelligence Bureau in 1987.He spent most of his career in IB in different ranks but was looking after Counter terrorist operations most of the time.He dealt with different hues of terrorism i.e. Sikh, Islamic,Naxal, Sri Lankan and North East during his long years in the IB.
- In between he also went on a diplomatic assignment to High Commission of India in Sri Lanka during 1992-95.He is credited to have worked out a large number of terror modules in the country, leading to their neutralization.
- He is recipient of Indian Police Medal for Meritorious Services and President's Police Medal for Distinguished Services besides appreciations by State authorities including Chief Ministers. His contribution in the field of Counter Terrorism is recognized across States. He has participated in a number of multilateral meetings on terrorism and has presented Papers on various facets of terrorism in International fora.
- He superannuated as Secretary (Security), Cabinet Secretariat in the Government of India on September 30,2015.On February 25, 2016 he was sworn in as Information Commissioner in the Central Information Commission.